Terminology applied to translation in a professional context
This module aims to lay the foundations for a contemporary approach to terminology related to the use of corpora in order to demonstrate the methods and tools applied to translation. Content is illustrated using professional contexts. It further aims to present the whole of the terminology activities carried out within the European institutions, not only in the translation of legislative texts but also in other contexts (for example, subtitling, communication, media).
- Understand how terminology concepts are applied in translation./li>
- Understand how terminology is used in professional contexts.
- Learn how to use terminology resources (WIPO Pearl, IATE).
Translators, interpreters, language teachers, linguists, company and public service executives.
- Introduction to basic terminology concepts and corpus-based terminography in the context of translation.
- Presentation and handling of corpus-based terminology analysis tools.
- Practical professional training for the process of enriching a terminology database: WIPO Pearl.
- Research and use of terminology resources, European Union terminology: IATE and other databases.
- Terminological work for translation within the European institutions: Methods of inter-institutional and academic cooperation (projects for IATE, projects of the «Terminology without Borders» project).
Lecturers (dans l’ordre d’intervention)
- Cécile Frérot
- Rodolfo Maslias
- Nadezhda Krasteva – Chair of the EU-Terminology Coordinators (IATE-MG)
- Maria Bruno – Terminology Coordinator at Philips
- Ciprian Dumea – Translator-Terminologist at the EP – Directorate for the Citizens’ language
- Federica Vezzani – Terminology Assistant Professor at the University of Padua
- Sofia Bertini – Master in Terminology, Coordinator of the project